The Wandering Mawr(ter)

the thoughts, travels, ideas, and life of a Bryn Mawr College Senior.

Hurricanes and the Beginning of the Semester

There’s a hurricane coming to Bryn Mawr and I mean this literally and figuratively.  For the most part, I’ve made Bryn Mawr my home for an entire summer. If you haven’t been around campus around this time, you may not realize how peaceful it is compared to the academic year (and I’m saying this even though there was construction for the duration of the break and an earthquake). Really, though, it truly is serene. I had certainly gotten used to my routine of overhearing the construction workers chat about Twilight in the morning and having my cheese quesadilla with sour cream and salsa for lunch at Uncommon Grounds (Yes, Bryn Mawr’s amazing cafe is even open during the summer!) every day with few surprises.

Just a few days ago, I sensed a storm coming. The clouds grayed, the winds became stronger, the construction workers started clearing out and laying down grass.. and I knew this was the end… of summer.

In other words, I’ve been very busy. My summer job involve(s)(d) helping professors start to learn a new system for course management as well as putting information out there regarding its use for students. The upcoming school year has blown in and caused a frenzy in the library. Everything is scattered and we’re stocking up on water and cookies.

Truly, though, I feel this year (my last year)  is already blowing in full force. With Hurricane Irene reportedly hitting us right on the first day of classes, I can just feel the start of an exciting, nervous, invigorating, crazy new year.

My feelings are mixed, but I’m ready to start this year and find out what events will come out of it.

Welcome to my blog and welcome to a new, exciting semester at Bryn Mawr College.

Side Note: for information on Bryn Mawr’s very real hurricane plan click here.